Thursday, September 18, 2008

Food Storage

Let me warn you right off, there are NO pictures in this post. I know what you're thinking...BORING!! I, too, love to see pictures on peoples blogs too. My first thought last night when I started canning at the Ogden Cannery was "Why didn't I bring my camera??" As soon as I walked in the canning room (a.k.a. operating room - that's what it looked like to me) I saw my father-in-law standing there in a hair net (surgery hat) and blue gloves sealing #10 cans just as fast as he could. It was a hoot! Anyway, this post is about food storage.

Recently I have really been thinking seriously about how badly we need food storage - especially with the high gas prices, failing economy, etc. So....I started out by ordering a few things through the church to "start out" my food storage. Dean and I kinda laughed thinking "Well if everything goes to hell we'll at least have those dehydrated hashbrowns, pancake mix and honey to munch on." haha

My brother-in-law Brent and his wife Jodi told us they had scheduled a time at the cannery for our families to go and work/buy food storage. I thought to myself, "Cool!" As I mentioned, I really wanted to get a start on our food storage. So I pulled up the food at providenceliving.org and decided what items I wanted to can. Honestly I had NO clue what to pick and why, luckily Jodi gave me some advice on what to get.

So....last night while Grandma Judy watched Lindy and Brent & Jodi's kids - me, Lynn, and Brent and Jodi went and canned. Dean had to work so he didn't get the pleasure of the "factory work." It was SO fun! Of course I ended up adding more to my list than I had originally planned and walked out of there $165.00 later - but I now have a good start to our food storage. I couldn't help but think (resembling LaVerne from Laverene and Shirley) when I was canning just how wonderful our Church is and the great programs and opportunities we have to prepare our families for not only world disasters but for our own benefit as a family should someone get sick or injured or lose a job.

To sum it all up, it was a great night and I left with a feeling of gratitude for the opportunity to store food for my family and to share the experience with family and friends!

2 comments:

Fritzsche's said...

I love that you did that. I too have wanted to go try out the local cannery but because I've never done it before, I just keep putting the unknown off for another day. I also have felt very serious about getting more food storage and getting more prepared for whatever may come in the sooner or later future. Thanks for inspiring me to think about it and hopefully to make an effort too.

Marcae said...

Way to go. I really need to start focusing on my food storage as well, especially after seeing what Brandy has been doing. Anyway, I just wanted to tell you "thanks" for coming down this weekend and for your generosity. I hope you guys had a great time. Also, let's plan a day to get together and go to Paradise...it's calling my name.